The Huron County Health Unit is committed to:
- Working with owners, operators and staff of personal services settings to ensure safe services are provided
- Reducing the risk of getting infections while receiving personal services.
Owners/operators in the personal service industry have a crucial role in protecting the health and safety of clients and workers. If you intend to open a salon or studio please contact the Huron County Health Unit. A public health inspector will help guide you through the general operational requirements. Operators also need to contact the health unit if food or drink is being served to clients.
The Ontario government has minimum standards for infection control practices.These best practices apply to any facility, service, or person offering services where there is a risk of exposure to blood or body fluids. This includes special events where these services are offered temporarily. It is important that proper infection control practices are followed at all times to reduce the risk of blood-borne infections such as Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) as well as other bacterial and fungal infections. It is important to remember that you do not have to see blood or body fluids on equipment or surfaces for infections to spread.
Personal service setting factsheets
- Body piercing
- Ear piercing
- Facials and make-up application
- Foot spas
- Hair salons and barber shops
- Tattooing and micropigmentation
- Tanning bed operators (Skin Cancer Prevention Act factsheet)
Single-use vs. multi-use items
Cleaning and disinfecting
Beyond Beauty newsletter
Beyond Beauty is a newsletter for personal service workers to keep them current with issues on the personal service settings industry. Previous issues can be accessed here:
- Beyond Beauty – April 2014
- Beyond Beauty – June 2013
- Beyond Beauty – June 2012
- Beyond Beauty – May 2011
- Beyond Beauty – November 2011
If you have a question please call us at 519.482.3416 or toll-free at 1.877.837.6143. Ask to speak to a public health inspector on the Environmental Health team.