If you are having any beauty or body art services, you want to make sure you choose a safe and clean salon or artist. Know what to look for and choose to get a service from a professional who cares about infection control. Public health inspectors at the health unit routinely inspect establishments providing these services. These services can include:
- Aesthetics (waxing, facials, etc.)
- Body modification
- Body piercing
- Cosmetics (make-up)
- Ear lobe piercing
- Hair salons & barbers
- Laser hair removal
- Medical spa services (by non-medical person)
- Micropigmentation (permanent make-up)
- Tanning (only for individuals over the age of 18, as per the Skin Care Prevention Act)
The health unit also investigates complaints about the cleanliness or safety of a service.
It is important that proper infection control practices are followed at all times to reduce the risk of blood-borne infections such as Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) as well as other bacterial and fungal infections. You do not have to see blood or body fluids on equipment or surfaces for infections to spread.
The Huron County Health Unit is committed to:
- Working with owners, operators and staff of personal services settings to ensure safe services are provided.
- Reducing the risk of getting infections while receiving personal services.
Investigation of complaints
If you have any questions or concerns about a personal service establishment, you can contact the Huron County Health Unit at 519.482.3416. All complaints are dealt with in confidence and the inspector will inform you of the findings and outcome of the investigation.
If you have a question please call us at 519.482.3416 or toll-free at 1.877.837.6143. Ask to speak to a public health inspector on the Environmental Health team.