Before you can log in, you must register with us.
Register as soon as you know you are pregnant.
Financial assistance is available for qualifying parents.
If you are a registered user, LOG IN with the access code sent to you by Family Health team administrative staff. When the first page has loaded you are ready to proceed.
These web pages are for information purposes only. They are NOT a substitute for professional medical advice.
Please be advised: Do not use the phone number or e-mail address listed if you are having any pain, bleeding or you feel as if there is something wrong. Call your health care provider immediately, go to the nearest emergency department or call 911 for help.
The Gift of Motherhood is an online prenatal education program. The modules contain similar content to our in-person prenatal classes, however a variety of learning tools are used such as audio, video and quizzes. The program is designed for you and your partner/support person to experience together to help you feel prepared for childbirth and your new parenting role.
The program includes:
- Access for six months, beginning from the date of your first use
- Additional tips specific to residents of Huron County
- E-mail access to a public health nurse
High speed internet access will work best. Dial-up will work but will take longer to download. You will also need audio (sound card and speakers or earphones), Adobe Macromedia Flash Player and Acrobat Reader, both available as free downloads from Adobe.
We recommend that you complete the seven chapters in The Gift of Motherhood in order, at your own pace and convenience. However, it is also easy to explore the program as you wish and to re-visit topics of interest.
- The program takes about 6 to 8 hours to complete. Consider your schedule and what will work best for you.
- Have fun with the online quizzes to review what you have learned.
- Note the date you start the online program and the expiry date of your access code (180 days later) to be sure you have enough time.
- At the end of each session, note the page or chapter where you want to start on your next visit.
On screen, The Gift of Motherhood looks like a book with page numbers at bottom centre.
- Turn pages forward or backward by clicking at the top or bottom corner of each page.
- Choose a chapter using the vertical tabs along the right edge: Intro, numbers 1 to 7, and Glossary (definition of terms).
- Use the bottom horizontal tabs to read about having a baby in Huron County. These tabs are PDF files that can be printed.
- Use Go to page: ___, or Prev Page and Next Page to re-visit a page.
Icons on each Page
- Click on the arrow icon to hear the audio as you read a page.
- Click this symbol to pause the audio.
- Move your mouse over the FYI icon to see additional information.
- Click on the camera to view video clips.
- Move your mouse over key words for more information.
- Download pdfs with additional information to read or print.
- Click this icon to open a notepad where you can type any questions you may have. Use the notepad to collect any questions you may have for you Public Health Nurse
What if I’m having difficulty with the eBook?
First, make sure your Internet connection is working by visiting some other web sites. Then, make sure you have the newest version of Adobe Flash. You may need to uninstall the previous version of Flash before you install the new version.
For instructions on how to uninstall Flash, visit their support site.
What if I can’t see anything?
Wait a couple of minutes more to let the program load. When Internet access is slow, the eBook may load more slowly than normal. If, after a several minutes, nothing appears, try restarting your computer.
What if the videos don’t work?
Give the videos a moment to load and make sure you have the latest version of Flash. If it still doesn’t work, try restarting your computer.
What if my code doesn’t work anymore?
Try re-entering the code, making sure there are no spaces before or after the code. If that does not work, call the Huron County Health Unit at 519.482.3416 or toll free 1.877.837.6143.
If you have a question please call us at 519.482.3416 or toll free 1.877.837.6143. Ask to speak to administrative staff on the Family Health team. You can also email us your question at:email@example.com.